Wednesday 20 October 2010

Polly Pumpkin


I've been baking non stop since last Sunday for Shalom's birthday picnic. Reason I've been baking is that I really would like Shalom and her friends to have some home made wholesome goodness minus the preservatives, colouring & flavouring. And of course since I'm making them myself, I've also been using organic as much as I can.

Well after last night I think I want to bake something that Shalom has not tasted before. So far for the birthday party pack (all of which are her regular treats at home), we've made:
• Flea Busters
• Peanut Butter Banana Squares
• Salmon Bombs
• Italian Sweethearts
* I say "we" cause hubby helps out. Not in the kitchen but I can count to ferry me around to pick up the ingredients needed from all over town:D

So I've decided to come out with something new based on my previous ingredients and experience of baking over 6 years for my diva. And I shall call this Polly Pumpkin. Why Polly? I don't know. It just came into my mind:P

Ingredients:
• 150g Oats
• 150g pumpkin
• 150ml yoghurt
• 1 egg
• cold water (use as needed to create a slightly sticky consistency)
• 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• Dash of Italian herbs or cinnamon or garlic (whichever tickles your fancy)

Mix all ingredients together until you get a sticky mix. Add or use less water as needed to get the consistency.

Then grease your baking pan lightly. Place the balls on it and pressed it with a fork or spoon. I like to use forks because i can make patterns with it:D

Bake at 160C for 20-25 minutes until light brown (monitor this closely as different ovens behave differently)

The results will be a slightly chewy cookie because of the oats. If you like the crunchier, just leave them in the oven another 15-30 minutes when you're done baking. I normally make 2 pans so Shalom gets both chewy and crunchy ones.

Dogs love the natural sweetness of pumpkin and its filled with vitamins & minerals.

And if you like to adapt the above for humans, well you can add cinnamon and use sugar to taste. Adding some sunflower seeds into it gives it an added crunch and oomph!

No comments:

Post a Comment