Tuesday 4 October 2011

Orange Poppy Seed Cakes

It was one of those weekends that I stayed home. While hubby napped, I decided I craved Orange Poppy Seed Cake and didn't have the heart to wake him up to head out for tea and cakes. So I opted to bake (for humans this time). Yes I baked my own orange poppy seed cake from scratch. Its quite simple except that I should have just monitored my cake a wee more during the baking session:P

Ingredients:
• 125ml milk
• 1/2 cup poppyseeds (original called for 1/3 but I love poppy seeds so I added more)
• 1/4 cup sunflower seed (I added this for some added bite and flavour)
• 180g unsalted butter
• 200g caster sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3 eggs
• 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (optional)
• 125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
• 375g plain flour
• 2 teaspoon baking powder

Method:
• Preheat oven to 180°C (depending on oven).
• Grease baking tray / pan. And if you're using a silicone pan, skip the greasing and merely sprinkle some flour on your silicone tray.
• Stir poppyseed into milk.
• Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer until light.
• Add eggs one at a time. Beat well before you add in the next egg.
• Fold in orange zest, orange juice, sunflower seeds and poppyseed mixture.
• Add flour and baking powder to above ingredients. Fold well.
• Bake 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

I mentioned that I should have monitored my oven during baking. This cracked cake is due to me baking at too high temperature. Nevertheless it was yummy (well my parents and hubby loved it). I shared a little with furkid Shalom as I wasn't all too sure about poppyseeds and dogs.
Serve your cake with a dollop of good vanilla ice cream and tea or even eat it on its own. Its a brilliant tea time idea!

2 comments:

  1. Vanilla ice cream omg. =D I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yes vanilla ice cream sounded easier than making the orange sauce that the original recipe actually called for:P

    ReplyDelete