Monday 19 September 2011

Pork Free: I Love Hong Kong Promotion @ Zuan Yuan

I love Hong Kong for its shopping and its food. Now Hong Kong comes to us with its tantalising and exciting Cantonese cuisines at Zuan Yuan Chinese Restaurant in One World Resort.

Dinner review with a few of my makan kakis kicked off with Sea Conch with Cucumber in Wasabi Sauce. Do not expect smoking wasabi...the slightly sweet wasabi in this dish is mild and compliments the crunchy sea conch and cucumber well. A good appetizer to kick start the palates.
Next to arrive was Poached Bitter Cucumber Sze Chuan Style. Bitter and appetizer wouldn't be too right sounding for many. However, this bitter cucumber wasn't all that bitter. It was crunchy and soft at the same time. It had a fresh green flavour to it that went well with the spicy chilly granishing. A tad spicy for some but this reminds me of one of our Goon family favourites that my late Porpor used to make.
Cantonese soups are my all time favourite. Our Double Boiled Black Chicken Soup with Dried Scallop and "Chong Cao Hua" arrived in individual bowls. I opened the cover and was greeted by a clear soup. Being a soup person, I took this soup very quickly. Yummy like how my Porpor used to boil soups.
I love having prawns in my chinese sit down dinners. Its something that I learn from my chinese reunion dinners that prawn signify happiness (prawns in Cantonese have the sound "Har" i.e. in our laughter we go "hee hee har har"). The Wok Fried Tiger Prawn with Special Sauce had just that effect on me. I smiled when it arrived. Such a pretty dish in a bed of a special sauce that was creamy. The sauce is rather appetizing. Do ask for a bowl of rice and not put the sauce to waste.
Another brilliant dish with very yummy sauce was the Braised Cod Fish with Morel Mushroom. The cod was done just right and its sweetness went well with the sauce. I finished off my bowl of rice with the lovely sauce.
I thoroughly enjoyed the Braised Chicken with King Soya Sauce Served in Clay Pot. Its not easy to make this dish as very good soya sauce must be selected and the art of cooking this dish requires great attention to ensure that the chicken thoroughly soaks in the sauce yet the skin remains not overly soggy nor overly salty. Here at Zuan Yuan, this is a must have dish when you try their I Love Hong Kong promotion.
Braised Bean Curd with Egg and Tomato Sauce is a happy dish for me. This simple yet delectable dish is perfect especially when you have children with you. I love this dish quite a bit so perhaps I am also a child? Hehehe.
Assorted Diced Sea Food with Crispy Rice in Lobster Soup is not your regular soup. A rather eclectic dish that is not your regular soup. The crisp rice smelt awesome. I was quite filled from the earlier dishes but could not resist having this dish. It did look like baby food but certainly did not taste like baby food. Absolutely flavourful since it was lobster soup with assorted seafood and coupled with the fragrant crispy rice that remained crispy for quite some time, I resorted to having spoonful after spoonful. *Burp*
baby food?
its a super adult food filled with flavours and textures!
Chef Michael treated us to one of his signature dishes Honey Chicken with Deep Fried Ginger. I love ginger and took to this dish very well. Every chicken was evenly coated with a honey based sauce. The ginger which were crisp were delightful. Its like eating chips with the fresh zing of ginger. A must have dish!
Dessert time! I really don't have much room left for dessert. But the Mango and Avocado "Ying Yang" Style was quite irresistible. The creamy avocado went well with the sweet ripe mango. The way to eat it is to mix it all together. And when you take a mouthful of this refreshing dessert, you'll instantly feel refreshed.
The second dessert that we opted for was the Black and White Sesame Glutinous Rice Cake. It does look a bit like our local kuih lapis except this was only black and white. The sesame was aromatic and even though it was made of glutinous rice, this dessert is not too rich. And neither did it leave me feeling like a bloated fat whale - a feel that I often get after glutinous rice desserts.
And if you like the above, hop by to ‘I Love Hong Kong’ Promotion from the 1st to 30th October 2011:
Zuan Yuan Chinese Restaurant
One World Hotel
+603 7681 1159

1 comment: