Monday 13 September 2010

Shalom cakes

I make a fair bit of the treats that Shalom eats daily. Reason is its simply healthier. I know I don't use colouring, flavouring and preservatives. Well that means that I also have to bake almost every week. And its simply one of the lil girl fave moments that she'll sit before the oven while waiting for the oven to "ting". And then she sits again by the dining table of kitchen while waiting for the treats to cool down before I cut her a slice.
here you can see her reflection while waiting for the treats.

Its not a lot of work. But it is a little work. I do grumble when I have to wash up though:P But seeing her happy face is definitely so very worth it.


A simple one that I normally use:
• 500g meat (minced)
• 1 or 2 carrots (finely grated)
• Herbs (I normally use parsley and rosemary to overcome bad breath - though I am not sure how well it works since she does have some doggie breath on some days:P)
• 10-20g seaweed (optional)
• Protein powder (40-60g and mixed with water)
• 200g to 500g flour, rice flour or oats (your choice)
• 1-2 eggs (optional)

Meat - I change from week to week since Shalom is a super picky eater. I've used chicken, duck, fish, lamb, beef and even turkey. With turkey nothing goes to waste coz I'll debone the turkey thigh and use the bone to make stock for our meat stocks and porridges.

You may use other vegies or fruits in place of carrots. Shalom loves apples and strawberries.

On my hardworking days, I actually grind the rice to make my own rice flour. And when using oats and bran, I'll just use them as they are. If you use less flour, it becomes like a meatloaf. I normally use about 200g. A dog's diet is supposed to be protein based rather than carbo. I sometimes use quinoa or brown rice to get a different texture and flavour.

So with the ingredients above, simply mix them all together. If the consistency is too thick, then simply add more water. I do not use eggs when baking for Shalom's pals who have sensitive skin. So I use more water instead.

Then grease your baking pan and pour the mixture in.

Bake at 150-170C for 25-40 minutes (depending on your oven) or till a toothpick comes out clean.

When its cool, slice and keep in air tight container. It keeps in the refrigerator for 3-7 days. And stores really well in the freezer.

There's a few more that I also bake for Shalom. Will share them when we bake them soon:D

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I really love Shalom's expression! :) Understand how it really makes your efforts worthwhile! :)

    ReplyDelete